Package (Grades 9-12)
We are offering a unique educational package in connection with our Vespers concert that took place in April 2023. This education package gives students an opportunity to engage in a multi-arts learning experience by watching a choral concert, participating in a workshop and engaging with our resource guide. Students will take a deep dive into the power of music and its ability to offer peace and a space to reflect. Activities in the resource guide not only encourage students to explore and discuss current events, but also connect to expectations in the Ontario Arts Curriculum (grades 9-12).
About the concert
Originally planned as a full performance of Rachmaninoff’s All-Night Vigil in 2020, this concert developed into a program that surrounds excerpts of the Vespers with music by Ukrainian, Latvian, and Canadian composers on themes of evening prayer, seeking peace, and reconciliation. We were delighted to partner with the Guelph Chamber Choir for this joint concert.
The world premiere of “will I, night” by Ian Cusson, with poetry by Marilyn Dumont, brings Indigenous ways of knowing to the concert’s themes of healing and restoration. Music by Larysa Kuzmenko, Iryna Aleksiychuk, Shavon Lloyd, Uģis Prauliņš, Francesca Hauser, and Jon Washburn were woven amongst the Rachmaninoff and Cusson to create a transportive musical experience.
Sergei Rachmaninoff All-Night Vigil (excerpts)
Shavon Lloyd Alleluia
Ian Cusson will I, night (world premiere)
Larysa Kuzmenko Sviatyi Bozhe
Uģis Prauliņš The Way Children Sleep
Iryna Aleksiychuk Holy is the Lord of Hosts
Francesca Hauser Twilight
Jon Washburn Dona Nobis Pacem
Included in the Virtual Education Package
- An archival recording of our April 2, 2023 concert
- Resource guide which includes information on the pieces of music, the composers, the artistic director’s process, discussion questions and activities for the classroom
- SATB Sheet music for ‘Twilight’ and a note from composer, Francesca Hauser
- Links to livestreamed conversations with Kathleen Allan and select composers
Add a virtual workshop with Artistic Director Kathleen Allan and a post-workshop Q & A for $200.
* We are happy to discuss a sliding scale for schools that are unable to pay full price
Contact us email@example.com